I texted my son to ask if I could share this part of our story with you.
He wrote “go ahead” and then “maybe add some more hope – just a suggestion.”
We went through a rough 4 years and here I am texting him about sharing a vulnerable story. Here he is texting me back and offering his advice.
Ours is a story of persistence, reconciliation and growth.
My goals in writing the story of being his mom through this particularly difficult period are to:
- cut through the isolation and shame that too often accompany a child’s battle with drugs,
- give myself permission to remember, explore and ask questions,
- gain greater understanding and clarity about my role in the experience,
- contemplate how pain, beauty and joy walk together and…
- more that I’ve yet to discover!